Sunday, March 06, 2011

EMBRACING MYSTERY

By Suzanne Boothby! (an AMAZING, SEXY, and MYSTERIOUS Guest Blogger!)

A few friends of mine have recently commented on the color of my hair.

“Your hair looks so red. Did you dye it? Did you change your shampoo?”

“Nope,” I reply.

But it’s funny. My hair does look redder these days. In the summer, it gets these amazing golden highlights. But usually in the winter in turns sort of brown and dull.

I have no idea why my hair turned a deeper shade of red. But, oddly enough, it does coincide with a moment that happened about a month ago.

I had just returned from an intense business trip. My boyfriend and I broke up. A few freelance projects fell through. The bathtub in my apartment backed up with water and almost flooded my entire apartment.

I was a total mess. I was not planning on any of these events.  But I couldn’t help but notice with so many things going awry, maybe I needed to tap into my spiritual well.

So I took a day off from friends, family and work and just listened.

One persistent thought came to me. “I need to embrace mystery.”

Mystery is not something I typically put in my calendar of to-do items. I like to plan my work and work my plan. I like to voice my goals and then put them into small manageable pieces, so I can make them happen.
When my life suddenly overwhelmed me with unplanned events, the message seemed so clear.  Embrace mystery.

So I did.

And then the most unexpected, wonderful things started happening.

My best friend from high school called me out of the blue and we made a date to hang out. A former co-worker came to me with a business idea that we are now working on. I applied for a freelance writing gig that I thought was a long shot and they wrote back.

I could have never planned any of these events. They all came from a mysterious place of letting go and just letting myself be.

Mystery is an active practice for me. I continue to play with the unknown. How can I open up to mystery each day? How can I let go of my plan a little and find some time for something unexpected?

I’ve already got organized down. Why not try something new?


Suzanne Boothby is a Brooklyn-based wellness author and writing coach who dabbles in social media and marketing. When she is not immersed in the world of communication, she loves traveling, gardening, yoga, dance and eating burritos. Visit her website www.suzanneboothby.com for a schedule of upcoming classes.

No comments: