Friday, April 16, 2010

Let's Get Naked



A note to my parental units that may be reading this:  You may feel similarly to the father on Coyote Ugly who walked into the dive bar to find his only daughter dancing on top of a bar...consider yourself sufficiently warned.

Today I got naked.  And no, I am not talking about undressing for the shower or to change into my work out clothes. I, Cora Poage, got naked at a PUBLIC Sauna at my gym. 

This mortifying experience actually happened by accident.

Normally, I wrap a towel around my body, and meditate inside the warmth and steam of the room.  For me, it is literally, a tiny piece of heaven.  Yet, I always have that towel protecting me, keeping me safe, allowing no one to truly "see" me. 

Until today...I sat up a little straighter after my meditation and to my horror my towel unraveled and fell to my side.  I sucked in a breath and made sure no one was inside or venturing into the sauna, as I scrambled to bring the towel back to it's proper home.

Yet, something told me to wait.  A whisper.  My intuition?  My authentic self?  The pervert with the video camera peering in from the guy's locker room?  (typical high-school old wive's tale...)

Now I have never been a "naked" kinda gal in my life. (in the past)  I am the girl in high-school who brought my gym clothes to a closed stall to change.  I've been a "lights off in the bedroom" person,   I have NEVER skinny dipped, although I think I faked it once in college.  There are very few naked baby pictures of me.  In fact, I literally think I came out of my mom's womb screaming, "Towel, GIVE ME A TOWEL...WAAAAH!"

Yet today, in the sauna, the towel fell just as I was stating one of my favorite affirmations, "I am enthusiastically loving and accepting ALL of me.  I am living My Truth out loud with gusto."

I took three deep breaths and I felt the warmth and steam touch my body, ALL of my body.  I tried to let go of self-consciouness, of self-judgement and I just breathed in the moment.  I looked at my body from a place of unconditional love and I tried to see myself the way God sees me.  I sent my naked Being prayers of deep gratitude for all my body allows me to experience, enjoy, and partake in on this Earthly plane.

I taste amazing foods, feel the silky fur of my cat, kiss the soft lips of my husband, hear the ocean water stroking the sand, dance to my heart's content, and see the loving essence of other Beings whom I love.  I may be a soul having a human experience, but this naked body of mine sure does help make the human stuff way more fun!

On my path of self-love and acceptance, I realize that loving my nakedness is truly important. Not only for the literal interpretation of this amazing lesson in the sauna, but also for the symbolic meaning of the towel.

In the past, I have kept a "towel" around me in life, trying to cover parts of me (personality traits, etc) that I didn't think were attractive or well-received by others. I used this metaphorical towel to tone down my light, keep playing small, and hide out in the corner of the sauna.  Afraid of my nakedness, I even hid from God.

Yet today, I am taking off my towels BOTH of them...I am dancing around this sauna of Life, letting my light shine, my nakedness be witnessed, and I am playing it Big.

"I am enthusiastically loving and accepting ALL of me.  I am living my Truth out loud with gusto."

So everyone, are you with me?  Are you ready?  Are you willing?

LET'S GET NAKED!!!

6 comments:

Hovig said...

Um, I would like a CT head, possibly MRI to evaluate the fronto-temporal area of the brain.

Maybe if I had a body like yours, I would get naked. But "all" of me is quite a big bigger than you ;)

Love and miss ya!

Nipper said...

I say yes, Cora!

Unknown said...

Love this post :)

Anonymous said...

heck yah! The way I perceived this was when you wrote something about seeing all of the loving essences around and accepting them unconditionally... I really related to you. I have a hard time seeing my own though... and letting others love my naked authenticity... I keep me wrapped in a towel... and recently I was all, "Why not let others love me the way I LOVE them." "Why not let me love myself as I would love to be loved?" "Why not live what I preach to others? Cora... I don't know if this makes sense, but I can really relate with what you said. Thanks for this and way to get NAKED!

Maureen said...

I LOVE this post! I think you're on to something.

Unknown said...

YES! I am such a naked fan. I think naked time is a crucial ingredient -- and agreed, it's such a good metaphor for the naked truth, our naked hunger, our naked light.
And I think we need to plan a 2011 retreat, including some wild woman skinny dipping. For real.
Thanks for your naked, sexy soul, Cora!