Friday, July 02, 2010

I Love My Body


This image was HUGE and on the side of a building close to Time Square.  It was a VERY large advertisement for Victoria's Secret and next to the picture, were the words: I LOVE MY BODY...

My business, Sexy Soul Wellness, promotes the message, Love Your Body, Own Your Power, Live Your Dreams.  I noticed the words, I LOVE MY BODY first, and I started feeling really excited.  I thought for a minute that Victoria's Secret was actually promoting loving our bodies, our REAL womanly bodies, not some photo shopped, FAKE idea of a woman's body.  Well, I was very wrong.

The picture next to the words speaks for itself.  Victoria's Secret is trying to appeal to a woman's sense of  confidence and self-worth, and at the same time totally slamming any female (99.9% of us) who does not fit this supermodel image.

I could go on and on about how this new Victoria's Secret Ad Campaign makes my skin crawl, however I am reminded of Mother Teresa's quote:


"I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there."
 
The energy that is created when one or more people are gathered in the name of what we support instead of what we oppose, is so incredibly strong!  So with Mother Teresa's blessing,  I suggest we all have Pro-Body Rallies...let's all get out on the street and love our bodies!  Let's start a revolution of women...and men who accept and feel gratitude, even admiration, for the skin we are in, whatever our size and shape.

Let's throw a Pro-Body PARTY for the fact that we are all uniquely beautiful beings, and shout it from the mountain tops that we will NOT, I repeat, will NOT let Victoria's Secret and most of the current fashion industry define the standard of beauty.  Let's define our own standard...that standard, is me, it's you, it's every Human Being on this planet...no Photo Shop required.

The National Organization of Women's Annual Conference is this weekend in Boston.  It's theme?  "Loving Our Bodies.  Changing the World."


I know the day is coming when THIS is the poster that I see on the side of a Times Square building.  I feel it deep within my soul that my daughters and grandaughters will celebrate their unique amazing beauty, free of the unhealthy and unattainable current standard.

Who's with me?  Pro-Body Rally and PARTY, here I come...Loving our Bodies, Changing the World.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Jarrard said...

I AM SOOOO PRO-BODY!!!! excellent post!! I am working a new project that revolves around body image and self love, and i would definitely love to have you involved-will email you when my plans get more solidified!
but, while i completely agree that beauty can't fit in a mold, and that the standards of beauty are ridiculous and unattainable-there is no denying that those women are gorgeous. Let's celebrate all beauty, without blaming those who are a size zero. we are all stunning!
you especially! shining example of both inner and outer beauty!
irony-the victoria's secret ad right before you click to comments :)

Cora said...

I love that Elizabeth!! We really need to celebrate and embrace ALL bodies, ALL sizes. However, photo shop was def involved in that poster...lol
LOVE YOU TONS!!

Molls said...

Yay!!! It's a pro-body party!!!! Time to define sexiness for ourselves!!! I love my sexy long legs and I must admit that I think my freckles are soooo sexy!! :) Thank you Cora for reminding me that self-love is sexy-love!!!!